Full Details

How to make a claim on council tax

• Visit voa.gov.uk to see if you pay more than your neighbour. Enter the postcode and house number. (If you pay less you don't have to tell your council).

• If you think you are paying more, write to your local listing officer through the voa.gov.uk website and explain why you think your banding is incorrect.

• The Listings Office has a duty to ensure all bands are correct, so it should alter the valuation if it believes it is required. This has been successful in many cases, however, it can go up as well as down - though you will not have to backdate payments.

• If the application is rejected, or you do not receive a response, send a written appeal to the Independant Valuation Tribunals Service.

Go back

Contact Us







Do you want us to phone you?:

Yes No

Comment or question*:

*Denotes a required field: